Menu: Central African Republic & Chad

This week we’re eating a double feast from two neighboring countries – Central African Republic and Chad. I had a lot of time to ponder our menu, as there is little else to do while tossing in feverish delirium. ┬áThank goodness we have a good African market in Tulsa, where I can find casssava leaves and ground melon seeds… and really explore the flavors of Africa.

CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC

Stewed Cassava Leaves [Recipe]
Dark green leaves from the cassava plant stewed with tomato, onion, and peanut butter.

Egusi Sauce [Recipe]
Ground melon seeds cooked into a sauce with onion, tomato, and chili pepper. We served it with grilled chicken, but this sauce can be served over rice, vegetables, or other meats.

Sweet Peanut Butter Rice (Bouiller) [Recipe]
White rice sweetened with sugar and natural peanut butter.

CHAD

Lamb Stew with Okra [Recipe]
Pieces of lamb slowly simmered with onion, bell pepper, and okra.

Millet Balls [Recipe]
A blend of white and millet flour cooked in a double boiler, then formed into balls and simmered.

Spiced Papaya Milk [Recipe]
Papaya pureed with milk, cardamom, and ginger

Comments

1. If you can get ockra to come out good…you are good

2. Very original blog, love your stories! This meal looks amazing, and intriguing to the senses ;) can’t wait to see some pics of your final dishes. Your husband must be a lucky one! Thanks for sharing.

• globaltable says:

Thanks so much for following the Adventure! Keith is lucky and – bonus – our Adventure is making him a little bit of a foodie, despite his picky ways :)

3. Keith Glennon says:

Don’t laugh, but I actually tried to make Okra. Didn’t work out…didn’t know what I was doing. Someday, I will try again! Have fun!

• globaltable says:

I think it is easiest to add okra to stews/soups/gumbo because it hides the “slime” – fried and baked/breaded okra is tasty, but I haven’t messed with it yet.

4. Haha, Bangkok Travel Gal doesn’t know about Mr. Picky Eater! But she is correct, after all: Not many picky eaters are so lucky as to get such a wonderful, hands-on education!
    Now, I have my own picky parts: I’ve never been able to get very enthused about okra. Maybe the Chad recipe will change my mind, though at this moment I’m still wondering why I would want to spoil some perfect lamb by adding okra!

• globaltable says:

lol this is true… Keith is Mr. Picky for sure…

Okra – it’s pretty good in this stew – cook it until you don’ t notice the slime any more :) If you don’t add it, you’ll need some sort of veggie to keep this stew interesting and healthy. :D

5. Karl G. Siewert says:

Where is the African market you refer to? Our family spends a lot of time at Nam Hai, and I’ve seen Indian, European, and other markets around town, but I’m not familiar with an African shop.

• globaltable says:

Hi Karl! Thanks for reading… the market is called Ebute Metta Tropical Market and it is located at 6930 South Lewis. There are lots of fun things inside. Let us know if you check it out and what you think! :)