Menu: China

At a restaurant, once I find an item on the menu that I like, I almost never order anything different again. It’s terribly lazy and non Adventurous.,. but also comforting after a long, terrible, grumpy kind of day. While I’ve had my fair share of Chinese food, I broke out of my comfort zone this week and put together a menu of dishes I’ve never tried, although you will recognize the names.

Have you ever had any of these dishes?

Mu Shoo Pork [Recipe]
From northern China, Mu Shoo Pork is a traditional stir-fry. Our version includes wood-ear mushrooms, chinese cabbage, bamboo shoots, and green onion. Mu Shoo Pork is commonly wrapped in Chinese Pancakes.

Chinese Pancakes with Green Onion [Recipe]
Chinese pancakes are made with dough, not batter. This recipe will show you how to cook two pancakes at once, separated by a bit of sesame oil and green onion.

Sichwan Chinese Hot and Sour Soup [Recipe]
Sichuan cuisine, from western China, is known for spicy, bold flavor. This soup, made with tofu, chicken, and chili peppers, is no exception.

Hot and Sour Cucumbers [Recipe]
This quick “pickle,” popular in northern China, is made with vinegar, brown sugar, chili peppers, and mushrooms, and can be served immediately after chilling. Special thanks to Laura Kelley of Silk Road Gourmet for sharing this recipe with us. A version will be in the third volume of her cookbook series “The Silk Road Gourmet.”

1. Nikki says

Yum! I’ve had ALL of these. I’m looking forward to the recipe for Chinese pancakes – curious how they are made!

2. kc192 says

wait a sec, no fried sesame balls? no sweet dumplings? where’s the dessert???

• globaltable says

I know, I know! I was really wanting to make a steamed custard bun… but there were so many interesting savory foods this time… and last week I did extra dessert… so I guess I’ll just have to start this project all over again in a few years (when I finish all the countries) so I can try more dishes :)

3. Carrie says

Dessert: Fruit
    When I was in China, the only dessert they eat is some fruit at the end of the meal – whatever is in season. We were there in the summer and had lots of melons, lychees, and some unusual blackberry looking fruit. We actually looked forward to the fruit because the meals were so huge with so many courses that we were glad it was finally over!

4. Tina says

My favorite Chinese dessert is soft serve ice cream. What? That’s not as typical in China as at Chinese restaurants? Oh. And I have a question. Why do all Chinese restaurants have tapioca pudding? Is that something they eat or something they think we like to eat? Or is it something cheap to fill a slot on the buffet? Sasha, thank you for broadening my horizons!

• Mary D says

I don’t recall seeing tapioca pudding when we were there. But then, none of the Chinese food we had there was like what I’ve had here in the States. I think it gets somewhat ‘Americanized’ here.

• globaltable says

This is a great question. I haven’t read anything about tapioca in my research, although you are right – it is all over American Chinese restaurants.

5. Janine says

Love Mu Shu pork! I even named my Shih tzu Mushu! It all sounds good! I love Chinese food!

6. we like this website. i just told my pal dan about it because he cares for this kind of info as well!