Menu: Morocco

This week we’re trying three completely different recipes which all use one magical Moroccan ingredient: orange blossom water. Have you ever used it? The perfume-like water lends a dreamy flavor to ordinary ingredients. While almost impossible to describe, I’d say that each splash of orange blossom water makes the food taste “prettier” which, of course, inspired me to splash a little behind my ears.

Whether or not this is normal, I was happy as  can be, walking around, smelling like Morocco.

What sounds good to you?*

Lamb Tagine with Sweet Honey Figs [Recipe]
Tender pieces of lamb slow-cooked in saffron, cinnamon and ginger, then topped with figs and chestnuts which have simmered in a honey and orange blossom water sauce.

Carrot & Juicy Orange Salad [Recipe]
Mountains of carrots grated and mixed with the juice of fresh squeezed oranges, cinnamon, sugar, and fragrant orange blossom water.

Semolina “Crater” Pancakes (Behgrir) [Recipe]
This lovely yeast-risen batter is cooked on one side only, creating thousands of tiny craters – perfect for filling with a yummy blend of honey, butter, and – yes – beautiful orange blossom water.

*All recipes and the meal review will be posted throughout the week

21 Comments

• Sasha Martin says

Thanks John! I’m currently debating which one to post tomorrow. They’re all so good…

1. mom says

Yes…I’ve used orange blossom water AND also rose blossom water (especially for that Greek pastry made with filo dough and lots of honey and walnuts…
    Both waters are great for splashing on “the temple of the holy spirit”

2. Sharisse says

PERFECT timing! I just bought a bottle of orange blossom water at the Iraqi market and was wondering what to do with it…

• Sasha Martin says

Yes, indeed! Some readers also put up some ideas on the Facebook Fan Page… over fruit salad, on strawberries, etc.

3. Jessica Bennett says

Aw, no bastilla :( You’ll have to make it sometime anyway. It’s fun to make and tasty. But your menu sounds delicious. Can’t wait to see your Monday post :)

• Sasha Martin says

Thanks Jessica – I’ll definitely be trying it sometime… I could probably spend a year on Moroccan food… :)

• Sasha Martin says

Very cool! Thanks Collette. I didn’t realize how easy it is to make orange blossom water… I have lemon tree – I’m thinking of trying this out with those blossoms (although, I want to keep some so it can form the lemons.

4. Ooooh…I love behgrir. They’re like a combination of freshly baked yeast bread and pancakes. I loved the gluten-free version I made when I was cooking Moroccan food :)

• Sasha Martin says

Yes, behgrir is all sorts of crazy-good. My bread-baking background makes me even happier to choose these over traditional pancakes. :)

5. meganleiann says

Oh! I am giddy! Moroccan food is my favorite! I’ve been waiting for this one!