Menu: Guatemala

Hello and welcome to our Guatemalan menu, a welcome distraction from the storms that plagued the midwest last night (a.k.a. where I live). Tornado season reminds me, yet again, that I’m a stress eater. Big time. Last night, as the winds whipped and the hail fell, ┬ámy appetite went through the roof. I may or may not have eaten 9.5 fresh corn tortillas and 139 mugs of hot cocoa, but who’s counting…? Let’s just say I’m still extremely full. The good news? Our Guatemalan menu is great for stress eaters. It’s at once comforting and indulgent. Trust me – I’ve put it to the test.

This week I received expert advice from Audrey and Dan over at Uncornered Market. I like them. They travel the world for a living. And they made Pepian in Guatemala.

What sounds good to you?

Pepian Sauce for Stewed Chicken or Veggies [Recipe]
Remarkably like mole, pepian is made with toasted pumpkin and sesame seeds, tomatillos, tomatoes, cinnamon, and dried chili peppers. While not spicy, the flavor is deep and complex.

Homemade Corn Tortillas [Recipe]
There’s nothing like fresh corn tortillas, still hot from the comal – the traditional flat pan used in Latin America for tortilla making and more. Our recipe is made with little more than masa harina, salt, and water.

Guatemalan Hot Cocoa [Recipe]
Made with traditional cocoa tablets and blended until frothy. Hot cocoa tablets are widely available at Latino grocers.

*All recipes and the meal review will be posted by Monday morning.

Comments

1. Michelle says:

Yeah! Corn tortillas. I have wanted to try making them for years. I now know what I’m cooking this weekend! Just so I’m prepared, can you find masa harina at whole foods? And is it the same as corn flour? Do you recommend a tortilla press? And will I be able to cook them on my non-stick griddle or is cast iron needed? I’m sorry to be asking all these questions when all will be answered with the recepies, but if I need stuff I can’t get locally, I’d like to start doing internet orders.

PS-Love your website and the recipes.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle :) Glad you are enjoying the Adventure! You can find masa harina at whole foods (in the international aisle) or at your local Latin grocer. It’s not the same as corn flour – it is processed with limewater which gives it a unique flavor. You can use any pan or griddle that you have on hand. I got a comal for 8 dollars at our local Latin grocer (you can also use it to toast spices and roast veggies, so it might be a fun investment, but is not necessary).

Oh, and I found it easier to use a tortilla press… I found one very cheap at our Latino grocer.

2. Brian S. says:

It’s nice to see Mole Pipian here. It’s not unknown in Mexico. It’s not unknown in Tulsa. Here are photos and a discussion of it. http://tulsafood.com/brookside/go-to-casa-frida-youll-leave-stuffed-smiling

By the way I never think of Oklahoma as the Midwest. We had, and have, cowboys and Indians. Slavery was legal until 1866. Until around 1995, half of Tulsa seemed to wear cowboy hats and talk with southern accents. The food is more Southern than anything else. It is sui generis.

Ah the midwest vs. the south. As an import, I am totally disqualified from having this discussion. Perhaps some local Oklahomans can help us out…

3. I only wish I could have shared in those…615 cups of hot cocoa and…what else? That stew looks wonderful!

4. I love pepian. Have travelled through Guatemala and love that country! Make sure to make the tortillas nice and thick :)

5. Came across your blog via Living Crafts on Twitter. I did a smaller version of what you’re doing with my daughters as part of their homeschooling curriculum. It was such a wonderful part of our multi-year study (we started in 2008). We did an A-Z journey around the world – picking one country for each letter of the alphabet. The exception was “X” since there are no countries that begin with the letter “X.”

It would have been nice to have all the recipes, facts, etc. that you’ve posted for the countries that we studied. Your website is so comprehensive and such an incredible resource!

Our next focus: studying each one of the states in the U.S. Making food that represents each state will be a highlight for my daughters and me.

Hi Ann – So glad you found our little corner of the internet :) I think it’s great you did a similar project with your children – what a great way to teach them about the world – I hope to go through this again when Ava is older although, I have to admit, several recipes have gone into regular rotation already (like the pupusa, for example). It would be nice to be a resource to students and families who are curious about the world. I keep it fun and light (there’s enough negative in the world). I have to add that I just love your next project. You should document it as you go so others can benefit from your research. Keep in touch :)