Menu: South Sudan

south-sudanese-menu

“A man without money goes fast through the market.”
South Sudanese Proverb

This week we’re digging into a menu that shows off South Sudan’s love of peanuts, sorghum, and spinach. These three staples can be found in many forms throughout the tropical country, although we’ve used them in traditional recipes that will be accessible to most home cooks.

And while we’re talking about spinach, can we talk about spring for a second? What on earth is happening? No, really. Tulsa is all kinds of crazy. I keep heading outside to plant my tomatoes and Mother Nature’s like “Just kidding. It’s still winter.”*

At this rate, the farmer’s market will be my only hope for awesome produce.

All recipes and the meal review will be posted throughout the week.

Sudanese Tomato Salad [Recipe]
Fresh tomatoes, green onion, and parsley, tossed with a spicy peanut lime dressing. Vegan.

Peanut Stew with Beef & Spinach | Combo [Recipe]
A hearty mixture of browned beef, spinach, and peanut sauce. This one will comfort even the bristliest of folk, on the crummiest of days.

Sorghum Crepes | Kisra [Recipe]
Wholesome Kisra makes for such a fun, vegan flatbread.. there’s no complications as with injera.. yet the flavor is substantial in an earthy sort of way. Good luck eating just one.

Psst… This week I’d like to challenge you to try something new -and photograph it. Share your experience on our Facebook Page or on Instagram or even on Twitter (Tag it #myGTA)

*P.S. What’s the weather where you are?

(Thanks to Brian Schwartz for taking the above photo of Ava and I)

Comments

1. Richard Westwell says:

The weather in the UK is 5oC similar to you in Tulsa!

Where is spring? What is happening to the weather in our World

Right now there’s a pretty intense thunder and lightening storm as well. As least there’s no tornado warnings… yet!

2. annaclarice says:

Here in Yakima, WA, it’s alternating between beautiful blue skies and sunshine (60-70 degrees) and blustery, gray, drizzly days (50 degrees). I’m on the east side of the state (high steppe desert here…not the rainy side) so this is pretty typical for us.

Sometimes it’s fun to vacillate like that, but I’m ready for spring! Incidentally, I’ve always wanted to go to Washington.

3. Let’s salute Sasha’s genius! I was eagerly awaiting this menu because South Sudan is the biggest cooking challenge. What the people eat is basically porridge, unseasoned oatmeal (well, it’s a grain similar to oats) with, if you’re lucky, a piece of meat thrown in. How can you make a meal like that that’s not horrible? Well, Sasha has done it. Somehow she found this peanut stew. While I never saw this delicious peanut stew in South Sudan, I quickly found three different websites with first-hand accounts of people eating it in different South Sudan locations. And a quick phone call to the South Sudan embassy in Washington confirmed it. It’s the real deal. And you won’t believe how good it tastes!

4. Dutchgirl says:

Spring hasn’t found Holland either! Yesterday it was still below 0 degrees C. during the night. During the day it is approx. 6 degrees C.
    Normally the tulips in the fields (for commercial bulb production) have started growing but I haven’t seen any yet… Usually they are in full flower around Queens day (April 30), but I’m wondering if it will be the case this year.

That sounds really cold! Our tulips etc came out a few weeks ago… now we’re waiting for the Azaleas, the local burst of spring which shows up near almost every home.

5. You find foods that are so attractive! I wish my family would even try something “different” that I cook. Where I live in Southeast Georgia, USA, we’re starting summer now. Days in the 80s and mosquitoes already portend a hotter, longer, more humid summer (ugh).

Wow! Mosquitoes wear me out.. we get them quite strongly in the summers here, as well. Try something small to start with your family – like maybe the salad (where they can put just the littlest bit of the dressing on it… or even the flatbread. It’s not a big stretch from a tortilla. And make it a game. Maybe let them pick which country to cook from… they could spin a globe. :)