Makes about 8
Johnny Cakes are like dense biscuits with a mild coconut flavor. In Belize they are often enjoyed in the morning with a slice of melted cheese, eggs, and sausage. They are also wonderful served under Stew Chicken where they wick up the delicious broth.
5 Tbsp melted butter
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut milk
1. Mix flour salt and baking powder together.
2. Add butter and milk. Mix to combine. Knead briefly to bring dough together.
3. Divide into 8 portions. Shape into balls and flatten into discs. Pardon mine looking so “homemade”… I was in a hurry. Ava wanted to play! They still baked up fine 🙂
4. Preheat oven to 400F. Prick with a fork and let rest 15 minutes.
5. Brush with milk or butter and bake for 15 minutes.
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
Recipe Copyright Sasha Martin, Global Table Adventure. For personal or educational use only.