The cheese and green onion make this cornbread unique. Dense and flavorful, the cornbread makes a great accompaniment to stews.
1-1/2 cups cornmeal
16 ounces cottage cheese
1 cup chopped scallions, plus 1 Tbsp for garnish
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
4 ounces feta cheese, chunked
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8″ square casserole.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (cornmeal, cottage cheese, eggs, scallions, melted butter, paprika, thyme, feta, and salt.
3. Pour into prepared casserole and spread evenly.
4. Bake at 400F until lightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
5. Garnish with remaining scallions. Serve warm.
NOTE: This dish was excellent warm, but dries out quickly. On 3/27/12 I adjusted the recipe for more moisture. The first time we gave the little we had leftover to the birds. After the adjustments, even leftovers were moist and yummy.
Adapted from Home Cooking Around the World, by David Ricketts and Mark Thomas
Recipe Copyright Sasha Martin, Global Table Adventure. For personal or educational use only. This recipe and hundreds more from around the world may be found at www.GlobalTableAdventure.com.