Recipe: White Cucumber Salad | Mizeria

Misery. When I get out of a steaming hot shower in the icy heart of winter and frost settles onto my damp neck before I can towel off. When I eat too much food at the fair and go to bed immediately afterwards. When my feet are tired and hot after a long, long day but – for whatever reason – I can’t take my shoes off yet.

When I eat cucumber salad? I feel fresh. Happy. Not exactly miserable.

But misery is the Polish name of this crunchy, creamy cucumber salad made with sour cream, dill, a bit of sugar and a splash of vinegar.

As for whether or not it lives up to its name?

I’ll let you be the judge.

Serves 2-4

Ingredients:

2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced medium thinly
sour cream 1/2- 3/4 cup, to taste
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
2 tsp sugar, or to taste
2 tsp vinegar, or to taste

Method:

Don’t blink, or you’ll miss the instructions.

Toss everything together and serve.

Enjoy the misery.

Preferably somewhere miserably beautiful.

Godziszów towards Goleszów, photo by D T G.

Comments

1. elisa waller says:

I’ve had this salad before and never did I realize it was a Polish delight….well since your looking on the look on the bright side of Mizeria…… at least misery loves company…..<3 bawhahaha,,,

2. I love mizeria!!! I actually love cucumbers in any form or shape. Thank you Sasha for preparing such wonderful Polish food:) As for the story of the name for mizeria, according to the http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/vegetables/r/cukessourcream.htm — Legend has it this dish was a favorite of Queen Bona Sforza, an Italian princess who married Polish King Sigismund I in the 16th century. Homesick for her native Italy where cucumbers were common, everytime she ate it, it made her cry. Hence the Polish word for ”
    misery,” derived from the Latin.

I love this story… although I’m sad for her homesickness… that’s the worst. Sometimes I feel homesick but I’m not sure what for (I haven’t really lived long enough in any one place to consider it my ultimate home)

3. Annabelle says:

My mum makes this salad all the time in the summer. She sometimes puts mint too.

4. That type of misery I don’t mind… :-)

agree with all the ones you describe, though – including exercising too much to the point of having to roll out of bed next morning, instead of getting up (that was the case today, some people just never ever learn!)

Lovely salad, cucumbers are under appreciated, I think. Celery too… ;-)

It’s good that you exercise that much, though… I’m impressed (as someone who can’t seem to find enough hours in the day).

5. This reminds me very much of a recipe that my grandmother tried when I was a young adult. It called for a couple “dashes” of vinegar, to which she added a couple “dashes” more. When she put the bottle down, I read on the back label “Kills millions of germs on contact” – turned the bottle around and discovered that she had added several dashes of Listerine! We had a really good laugh. I suggested that she leave it just as it was and see if anyone noticed – she didn’t, and did the whole salad over again. She was a great gal and I still love that story!

ohhhhh hahahah that’s a great story Tracy. Glad she didn’t serve it though… could have caused some upset tummies ;)

6. Collette Lemons says:

Looking forward to making this – not sure if Cliff will try it but I do know I won’t lose any sleep over it if he don’t. :)

Trackbacks

1. [...] Cucumber Salad | Mizeria [Recipe] Mizeria means misery in Polish, but this creamy (but slightly sweet and sour) salad is anything [...]