Menu: Greece

This weekend was wonderful for three reasons.

1) I had the joy of being with my sweet daughter and husband for Mother’s Day. We went to the immaculate gardens at the Philbrook Museum and pretended to be 18th century royalty. Also, Keith made me French Toast and did the dishes. And took me to dinner. And had my knives sharpened. And got a pedicure… with me. It was pretty epic, as far as Mother’s Days go.

2) I got my first hair cut in over a year. Maybe in two years… I’m not sure. While I hated it at first, I’ve grown to love the fact that my neck is no longer covered by a ratty pony tail.

3) We reached Greece on this crazy world-food Adventure. I remember when I started this blog 1.25 years ago, how far away that seemed. Well, here we are, more than 1/3 of the way through the countries, with a menu I’d eat every week if I could.

Spanakopita [Recipe]
Spinach and feta cheese wrapped in lightly buttered phyllo dough.

Traditional Greek Salad [Recipe]
Juicy tomatoes with crunchy peppers, cucumbers, and red onions make a lovely bed for feta cheese and Kalamata olives. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and oregano.

Grilled Lamb in Rosemary Garlic Marinade [Recipe]
Fresh rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, and oregano make a bold marinade for lamb. Let set for 24 hours and you’ll never want to eat out again.

Greek Yogurt with Honey [Recipe]
Creamy yogurt and floral, sweet honey – the dessert of my dreams, as remembered from my trip to Greece in 1993. Use the best yogurt and honey you can find.

Comments

1. All of this sounds amazing! Cant wait to see you make this menu!

You didn’t make the yogurt?

*hangs head in shame* …. not this time, Jessica. I could never make a yogurt as well as the Greeks. That and .. well … my time/brain/energy depletes as Ava ages. Hello, toddler time!

• Jessica Bennett says:

I completely understand. I just have fond memories of making yogurt with my mother when I was a child, and I was looking forward to seeing your recipe.

The worst part is I didn’t even think of it. That’s how fried I am. I’ve even made a French yogurt of sorts called fromage blanc; it was wonderful and easy. I would have loved to do it. Perhaps the opportunity will present itself again…

3. I am finally coming around to feta! I love love love the new haircut, super stylish!

When I started to do this project several years ago (I didn’t make it very far), I kept a spreadsheet of the countries and whenever I thought of an idea, I put it under the country name. I also kept the list there of what I did wind up making (not the recipes- just the dishes). Your project is 1000 times more interesting.

I love that you did it for a while…how far did you get?
      The project has done wonders for my family – so much more variety and I’m learning a ton!

• Jessica Bennett says:

I actually was going to go through the alphabet multiple times, one country per letter each time (obviously each go-through would be shorter than the last), and I didn’t even make it through one time. I did Afghanistan to Russia (so I came close to once through). I still cook plenty of international dishes, but I usually stick to a handful of countries (Japan, India, Venezuela, Mexico, Italy, Egypt) rather than branch out much, but that’s more because of a lack of time.

You did come close! You’ll have to pick it back up :) Maybe you can try some of the recipes on here to get you started.

• Jessica Bennett says:

I should. But I think the key for me to continue is to not force the weekly progress. Since my life is such chaos, I need to do it when I have time and energy, so it will just take a while :) And there are definitely a ton of recipes on this site I want to try!

5. MMmmmm!!!!! My husband and I went to Greece last year and the food was one of my favorite parts of the entire trip! I was so excited to see you were already to the G’s and couldn’t wait to hear your menu. I was secretly hoping grilled squid would be on the menu (my favorite dinner there) but I suppose lamb is more traditional! Can’t wait for this week to progress!

6. Love your haircut (maybe I’m biased because my current haircut is quite similar?!).
    I eat Greek salad almost every day now that the weather is warmer: there’s a big Greek community living here and I find the most amazing feta. Now, if only I could get decent tomatoes..

7. Collette says:

We had grilled lamb over the weekend too. But it was just grilled with a rub and nothing fancy. I loved it but then I like lamb. I realize because of the price it is substituted with a meat mixture in a lot of Greek restaurants… but it’s awesome when you have a gyro with the real thing.