Photo is courtesy of the CIA World Factbook.
This stunning art-nouveau home was built between 1901 and 1903 for painter Georges de Saint-Cyr.
- There are over 400 kinds of beers in Belgium. Most are made from barley, although some are made from wheat.
- When a baby is born, the Godparents give out white Jordan almonds to family and friends.
- Chocolates are popular. One kind, called Fruits de Mer (fruit of the sea) is a seashell shaped mixture of chocolate and ground hazelnuts.
- Brussels has more than 2000 restaurants.
- The Belgian pieman, Noel Godin (a.k.a. George the Glooper), throws pies in the faces of people who take themselves too seriously. In 1998 he hit his 50th victim when he creamed Bill Gates!
- Belgium is home to the largest aviary (bird zoo) in Europe. The Parc Paradisio houses over 2,500 birds.
- Belgium uses about 46% percent of its land for farming and livestock. The country grows about 80% of what they need.
Hungry for more?
Be notified when National Geographic releases my memoir.
Simply fill in your details below.